Saturday, 11 October 2008

New Car

So, having come from a country that is somewhat environmentally aware, I now find myself in the position of owning a brand new Nissan Pathfinder. I never in my life expected to drive a 4WD or and SUV. Previously, we owned a 7 seater MPV which wasn't the most fuel efficient car in the world but was better than what we have now. Driving in Qatar is interesting to say the least. Nothing less than full concentration is required in order to avoid an accident. According to statistics this is officially one of the worst countries in the world for driving. The mortality rate in 2005 in the UK was 5.5 per 100,000. Here in Qatar it was 30 per 100,000. Scary or what.

I am actually enjoying driving the car despite my initial reservations though I'm a little disappointed that it doesn't have enough internal storage or at least not as much as our previous car.

Here a report from Al Jazeera news about the crazy driving in The Gulf states.

http://www.explore-qatar.com/forums/Getting_around/46/posts/882.htm

No comments: